Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Digging into the Kinect


I've been avoiding getting into .NET for years, but now I am having to get on with learning it.  The first thing I've encountered is a whole new set of controls called WPF {Windows Presentation Foundation} controls.  So far, so good.

Starting with the Skeleton tracking routine written in VB.NET 2010, I dug around in the data structure and managed to locate the Cartesian coordinates of the major body joints that Kinect is so adept at locating.  They are generated at 30 times/second and fill up a listbox rather quickly.


Watching the graphics display, it appears that adding a simple motion smoothing routine would be very useful.  I'm surprised that something of the sort wasn't included in the firmware.

The scale of the coordinates appears to be meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment