Monday, February 18, 2013

Kinect is active


I was able to get Kinect going and run it through most of its paces.  It can capture a 3D radar image out to about 4-5 meters as you can see with this colour coded screen grab.




This perspective projection gives you, perhaps, a better feel for the depth of the space.




Oddly, it flips the data from left to right.  I don't know what that is about yet.


It does face tracking down to about a meter away from the Kinect and skeleton tracking down to about 2 meters.  I was unable to capture that with the very primitive Visual Studio apps that I have so far.  I thought it showed the orientation of the palm, but with what I have I apparently don't have that possibility.

I was also able to videotape the skeleton tracking option.  Here is the full body tracking.





I understand that Microsoft used quite a large farm of servers to develop the parameters for this feature.  Notice that you have trouble when a foot leaves the visual field of the Kinect.  Also notice the problem when you accidentally get one leg behind the other or behind an obstacle, in this case a stool.

Here we restrict tracking to the upper body, viz, "seated mode".




Notice that when the hands leave the visual field of the Kinect the same thing happens that happened when the feet left the visual field in full body mode.  Also note what happens when I placed one and the both hands on my head.I was able to locate some open source finger tracking software for the Kinect that was written in Spain.  I will be trying that next.

2 comments:

  1. Very very interesting. What software did you use for the tracking through the kinect? Is it open source?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Windows Kinect SDK comes with a dozen or so sample programmes written in several of the Visual Studio languages. I ran the ones in VB and C#, being most familiar with those. Most of the cleverness you seen comes from calls to the SDK.

    ReplyDelete